Department of Zoology
|Vision||• The Department of Zoology will be a leader in acquiring fundamental knowledge of the living world that will advance the health of the planet, including humans. We will fully integrate instruction and research so that all students not only learn but also, through their learning, actively contribute to our understanding of life.
• Making the students with responsibilities towards society.
• Achievement of excellence through high-quality education relevant to national needs
|Mission||• To serve the communities of our world, nation, state, and university by advancing understanding of living organisms and their interactions with the environment through research, to provide high-quality biology education with an emphasis on experiential learning and problem solving, and to build public understanding of the living world through educational outreach activities for learners of all ages.
• Applying the learnt techniques for the betterment of self and social profits.
• Creating awareness on INSITU conservation of endangered biodiversity to preserve nature.
|Our Strategic Goals||• Advance our research efforts in emerging fields of the biological sciences and develop nationally recognized learning centers for undergraduate and graduate curricula
• Increase the recruitment of and support for innovative and outstanding faculty who through research and teaching will develop the scientists, health professionals, government professionals, and mentors of the future
• Foster an exciting environment where teaching, research, and service will stimulate our students to serve as leaders of the people of this state, the nation, and the world
• Enrich our regional environment with the development of scientific programs to include opportunities for participation of our local communities
|1979||Year of Establishment|
DR. V. K. Meenakshi
Contribution towards Department
|• Area of Specilization- Taxonomy and Biology of Indian Ascidians
• Chemical Investigation and Pharmacological Applications of Ascidians
• Research Projects Completed - 4
• Expertise on Identification of Ascidians to 52 National Institutes.
• Number of Ph.D produced - 9
• Number of papers published after 2012 - 70
|2016||MoU signed with DCW Ltd, Sahupuram, Thoothukudi District.|
|Pioneers||Dr. V. K. Meenakshi,
Dr. S. Gomathi,
Dr. M. Paripooranaselvi
|Highlights of the Department||• Community Service-Silakulam
• Mushroom cultivation-Add on course
Incharge Teachers : 1.MS.M.VIJAYALAKSHMI 2.Dr.V.JEYANTHI KUMARI
• Department add on- Food Preservation
Incharge Teachers: 1.MS.M.MUTHUKANI 2.Dr.T.SAKTHIKA
• Farmers Day-Every year we invite a farmer, honour him and hold this ceremony under his leadership.
• Projects Applied -15
• Project in hand -2
• Intension to help students from our Department for their academic purposes
Contributors: MS.M.Muthukani Dr.T.Sakthika Dr.V.Sornalakshmi Dr.V.Jeyanthi kumari
• Herbal Garden Maintenance and Vermicomposing
Incharge Teacher : Dr.V.SORNALAKSHMI
• NCC Officer-M.Muthukani
• Maintenance of Goose ducks and Larvivorus fish culture
• Apiculture, Sericulture, Vermitechnology, Nutrition and Dietetics as part of students curriculum
• Well furnished laboratory and have good research lab attenders who can work well.
• More than 200 specimens in our Department Museum
• Herbal Garden with 36 rare medicinal plants
• Regular Visits to Central Silk Board, Apiary Unit and CMFRI
|Publications (UGC/SCOPUS/PEER REVIEWED)||• MS.M.Muthukani - 0-1-1 =02
• Dr.S.Sakthika - 5-1-15 =21
• Dr.V.Sornalakshmi - 15-9-11 =35
• Dr.V.Jeyanthi kumari -8 -13-2 =23
• MS.M.Vijayalakshmi -1-0-1 =02
Head & Assistant Professor